Environmental Policy Statement
As a Certified California Green Business, my business strives to be as environmentally-friendly and sustainable as possible. Here’s what I currently do and/or commit to.
- Do regular maintenance to HVAC and refrigeration systems at least twice a year.
- Use energy efficient lighting.
- Use Ohm Hour and SCE’s tiered electricity system to work to reduce energy use.
- Set computer to go to sleep quickly to reduce energy use.
- Purchase office equipment and home appliances that are Energy Star or EPEAT registered products.
- Use faucet aerators on kitchen and bathroom sinks to reduce water use.
- Retrofit toilets with higher efficiency versions.
- Check for and repair any water leaks.
- Print promotional materials with vegetable or other low-VOC inks on paper that is 100% recycled or FSC Certified with 30% post-consumer waste recycled content.
- Recycle all materials accepted in my local area and properly store/dispose of hazardous and universal waste as required by law.
- Buy post-consumer recycled paper towels and toilet paper and, when possible, looking for unbleached or processed chlorine-free paper products.
- Buy previously used furniture, supplies and materials when possible.
- Limit the use of disinfectants and/or use hydrogen peroxide-based products.
- Don’t use any polystyrene (like Styrofoam).
- Use reusable dishware.
- Donate furniture, supplies, scrap materials, etc. if not needed.
- Reuse paper and plastic packaging materials from shipments.
- Send receipts, contracts, reports and invoices by email.
- Keep digital records.
- Sign up for paperless statements from banks and credit card companies.
- Use a coffee maker that doesn’t use single-use pods.
- Only use reusable water bottles.
- Set printers to automatically print double-sided.
- Reduce the impact of owner/employee transportation by working from home or prioritizing alternate methods of going to meetings (biking, walking, riding the bus, etc.)
- Maintain an environmental policy statement that outlines my commitment to sustainability.
- Work to do business with other green businesses.
- Continue pursuing other opportunities to implement green business practices as they arise.
- Spread the word about ways businesses can become more eco-friendly in their practices.
- Make green choices where possible beyond just work/business.
Want to join me?
If you’re located in California, consider joining the California Green Business Network.